Rewards and awards
It’s been a long week so last night we rewarded ourselves by heading to the beach for an impromptu barbecue. The weather was gorgeous, the last-minute-thrown-together food was surprisingly good, and I remembered how much I love the feeling of sand between my toes. I absolutely cannot wait for our seaside holiday in Croatia – only two weeks to go!
In other news, not one but TWO lovely bloggers have nominated me for a Liebster award! I am so touched to have been mentioned by Robyn of Frankie Simone and Jo of Pink Cat, Custard and Cake, and they have both set 11 questions for me to answer. I don’t normally do these things as I’m not convinced anyone really wants to know quite so much about me, but then Jo said that she’s too nosy for her own good and likes finding out “the odd details about people that don’t necessarily get ‘exposed’ in other posts” and I thought oh why not?! And if as suspected you do not really want to know quite so much about me feel free to skip this post and come back next week for more photos and recipes!
Here are Jo’s questions:
- Bright or pastel clothes? A few years ago I would have said pastel but I’m a bit braver with my clothing choices now so would have to say bright! My mustard yellow cardigan is one of my favourite things.
- What is the most random song that you know all the words to? Um … I’m a big fan of musicals so there are probably quite a few … but maybe Man or Muppet?!
- Countryside or seaside? Seaside, always seaside. See above.
- Which celebrity would you love to see on Strictly Come Dancing? I don’t always watch it but would love to see posh Jason from this year’s Apprentice. To be honest I’d just love to see him back on my screen!
- Where were you on September 11th? Celebrating my birthday a few days early, with my parents and two big sisters, in the middle of the Scottish countryside. It was a strange strange day but I’m so glad we were all together.
- Sweet or savoury? Sweet! Have you seen my recipe index?!
- What was your favourite book as a child? Ooh tricky one. I always struggle with picking absolute favourites. Maybe Danny the Champion of the World, or Burglar Bill. But then there’s Starting School and The Jolly Postman, or the Nancy Drew Files, the Babysitter’s club, the BFG and the Janice Project (which is not really very good but I absolutely love). Ask me another?
- Kirstie Allsopp – love or hate? Can I be indifferent?
- What is your favourite cocktail? Anything long and fruity! I do like a Woo Woo.
- Do you regularly read a magazine? I love a good magazine, it feels like a real treat! I don’t have a regular read but I love foodie, crafty and lifestyle mags.
- George – good name for the royal baby? As good as any!
And now for Robyn’s questions:
- How often do you step on a scale ( do you weigh yourself at all?) I don’t have scales as I don’t want to get obsessive about my weight, but I do check it every time I stay at my boyfriend’s dad’s house as they have scales in the guest bathroom!
- Can you name you favourite place? How do I choose?! I do love the Forth Bridges, they’ve always been a sign that I’m coming home.
- What is your favourite food? Again with the favourites! I am generally a big fan of food but do especially like cake. And cheese. And smoked salmon. And spinach. And Yorkshire pudding. And peanut butter. And Haribo. Oh, I can’t decide!
- If you could be anybody in the world, for just a day, who would it be? Robbie William’s personal assistant. Or maybe the queen. No! Professor McGonagall!
- Do you collect anything? Yes, all ticket stubs / programmes / orders of service etc. which I always intend to put into a memory book but in reality just gather in a shoebox. Or two.
- What would be your perfect breakfast? I do like a good brunch. Maybe eggs benedict, or scrambled egg and smoked salmon, or french toast with bacon. Basically if there are eggs involved, I’m happy.
- Do you do any sports etc, if so what? Does Zumba count? I’m not really in to team sports but do love watching tennis.
- What have you made yourself that you are most proud of? My sister’s wedding cake. Also the LoveOliver Lego cake. And when I was a teenager I made a green velvet dress (with a lot of help from my granny) which I wore to the Christmas dance. It felt amazing.
- What are your favourite television programmes/films at the moment? We are working our way through the entire collection of Friends and I had almost forgotten how much I love it! Ross just told Rachel he can’t see her any more and Joey just found out about Monica and Chandler. Classic!
- Can you name 3 people who inspire you? At the risk of sounding corny, my mum and my best friend Jennifer are two of the bravest women I know. On a much more superficial note, Gwyneth Paltrow is awesome – she acts, sings, cooks, blogs, mothers and looks amazing!